The Latest Celebrity News & Showbiz Gossip
Monday 16th December 2019

The Queen 'won't strip Prince Andrew of title as he's favourite son'

She won't take away his HRH

Prince Andrew won't be stripped of his royal title because he's the Queen's favourite son, Paul Burrell claimed on Good Morning Britain.

The former butler to Princess Diana was on the programme today (25.11.19) to debate the issue, following the Duke of York's disastrous Newsnight interview about his relationship with billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

Presenter Piers Morgan asked Paul: "Once you set a precedent for removing an HRH title from somebody who's had it bestowed upon them, whatever the reason, why shouldn't Andrew now lose his, given that Diana had to lose [hers]?"

Paul was on GMB to debate whether or not Prince Andrew should be stripped of his HRH (Credit: ITV)

Read more: Piers Morgan rips into Prince Andrew for "desperate, toe curling" interview about friendship with paedophile

His co-host Susanna Reid quickly argued that the two - Andrew and Diana - represent completely different cases.

But Piers continued: "Andrew's own wife, Sarah Ferguson, had hers removed..."

Paul said: "Yes, because she's divorced from the royal family. Diana was divorced from the royal family. They were not part of the institution.

He argued that Andrew is the Queen's favourite son (Credit: ITV)

"Andrew's a member of the royal family. He cannot lose his prince's title, he was born with that. He cannot lose his duke title, the queen bestowed that upon him."

This is her son, her favourite son.

Piers argued: "But the Queen can take away a title, she has that power. It has happened to other people."

"But this is her son, her favourite son," Paul said, adding: "She's a 93-year-old mother, as well as being our monarch."

Piers responded: "She just fired him from civil duty!"

Piers didn't hold back (Credit: ITV)

Read more: I'm A Celebrity viewers in hysterics at Ant and Dec gags about Prince Andrew's 'sweating'

Journalist Eve Pollard, who was also on the show, then pointed out: "That must have hurt her quite a lot."

It follows reports over the weekend that Prince Andrew's big 60th birthday bash had been cancelled, in the wake of him being 'sacked' from his royal duties - a decision in which Prince William was reportedly involved.

The Sunday Times reported that, as the party had been cancelled, Her Majesty would be organising a small family dinner for his birthday on February 19 instead.

Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think of this story.