The Latest Celebrity News & Showbiz Gossip
Thursday 21st November 2019

Bunny 'dies of fright' due to fireworks as petition to ban them reaches 250,000 signatures

Pet said to be "traumatised" by the 'cruel' display

Devastated pet fans have said they can’t wait for fireworks to be banned after a one-year-old rabbit apparently died after being spooked.

A video of Archie was shared on Facebook over the weekend showing the grey bunny shaking as nearby fireworks went off.

The distressed pet in Cornwall was said to be "traumatised" by the 'cruel' display - and was found on his side.

Owner Donna Pilgrim said: "My poor little man, he’s just had a huge amount of fireworks go off outside.

Archie was terrified (Credit: facebook.com/donna.pilgrim.7)

Read more: Costa selling Pigs in Blankets Mac and Cheese in a box for Christmas

"As you can see, although he’s snug with his hay and his little house where he usually lays, he’s now just trembling and shaking in his bed.

"This is the cruelty and reality of fireworks, I’m just hoping and praying that he’s still with me tomorrow.

I can’t wait until fireworks are banned from public use.

"I found him laying on his side and shaking, he’s obviously traumatised by it all.

"So for that few quid's worth going up in smoke, that could do so much more, for so many animals or people in need.

Could this be the end for fireworks? (Credit: Pexels)

Read more: Kevin the Carrot is back and he's got a new nemesis in the Aldi Christmas ad

"I hope you enjoyed your five minutes of fun. I think I’ll be very lucky to have Archie in the morning."

But unfortunately Archie passed away within hours.

She wrote in a Facebook update: "Sadly my sweet little Archie is no longer with us."

Upset users were quick to offer their condolences - but were also angry at the use of fireworks.

One wrote: "I am so so sorry for your loss. Why!!!! He was taken far too soon."

Another said: "That's terrible. My heart goes out to you on this very sad day. Poor bunny."

Another user fumed: "So sorry donna [bleep] fireworks should be banned rip little bunnie."

"Omg Donna. I am so so sorry to read this. [Bleep] fireworks. So angry for you. Poor little man," echoed another person.

Another user agreed: "This is awful ..something needs to be done about these fireworks."

And yet another person added: "I can’t wait until fireworks are banned from public use."

It was reported yesterday that a puppy died from a heart attack due to an "enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off".

And a petition set up to ban the sale of fireworks in shops has now passed the 250,000 signatures mark. You can sign it here.

Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think of this story.