The Latest Celebrity News & Showbiz Gossip

Friday 22nd March 2019

Netflix confirms release date for Madeleine McCann documentary

Netflix says the series has access to "never-before-heard testimonies"

A Netflix documentary about Madeleine McCann will be released on Friday, the streaming service has confirmed.

The documentary, titled The Disappearance of Madeline McCann is set to be a "detailed look" at the disappearance of the three-year-old.

The youngster's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, have previously criticised the programme, saying it "could potentially hinder" the search for their daughter.

Madeleine vanished from the resort of Praia da Luz in Portugal in May 2007, while on holiday with her family.

Kate and Gerry McCann

Kate and Gerry McCann do not contribute (Credit: Gareth Fuller/PA)

Read More: Netflix to air new Madeleine McCann docu-drama this month

Netflix said the series had access to "never-before-heard testimonies from those at the heart of the story, including friends of the McCann family, investigators working the case and from those who became the subject of media speculation and rumour".

It said: "The Disappearance Of Madeleine McCann goes beyond the headlines and takes a unique look at the facts of the case as well as its impact on media standards around the world."

Mr and Mrs McCann previously said in a statement: "The production company told us that they were making the documentary and asked us to participate.

We did not see – and still do not see – how this programme will help the search for Madeleine.

"We did not see – and still do not see – how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, it could potentially hinder it.

"Consequently, o­­ur views and preferences are not reflected in the programme."

Three-year-old Madeleine McCann disappeared in 2007 (Credit: Crimewatch BBC)

Read More: Madeleine McCann's parents speak out against rumoured Netflix documentary

Scotland Yard launched an investigation, Operation Grange, after a Portuguese inquiry failed to make any headway on Madeleine's disappearance.

In November last year, a further £150,000 was granted to the investigation to allow it to continue until March 31.

Force bosses have been applying for funding from the Home Office every six months to continue the inquiry, which has cost about £11.75 million so far.

Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think of this story.