TV

ITV slam “nonsense” idea Ant & Dec could be replaced on I’m A Celebrity

The broadcaster has vehemently denied the suggestion

ITV has said it’s “utter nonsense” to suggest Ant & Dec could be replaced on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!

The broadcaster spoke out following a story in a Sunday newspaper that I’m A Celeb bosses could be open to trialling two new hosts when the programme returns later in the year.

But a spokesperson for ITV has vehemently denied the suggestion, telling The Mirror: “It is utter nonsense to suggest that Ant and Dec are set to be replaced on I’m A Celebrity.”

Read more: I’m A Celeb’s Becky Vardy confirms second boob job after implant scare

I’m A Celebrity traditionally airs on ITV around November to December and is filmed in Australia.

Ant, 42, revealed last week he has stepped down from current TV commitments.

It means he will not be appearing in the last two episodes of the current series of Saturday Night Takeaway, which air on March 31 and April 7.

Ant has returned to treatment after being charged with drink-driving after a car collision in London last weekend.

His spokesperson said: “Ant has decided to go back into treatment and step down from his current TV commitments. He has spoken with Dec and ITV today and asked for time off for the foreseeable future.”

This weekend’s Saturday Night Takeaway was cancelled, but Dec will host the final two shows – including the big finale in Florida – by himself.

It will mark the first time in his career he has presented without Ant.

ITV
Ant & Dec on Saturday Night Takeaway (Credit: ITV)

In a statement last week, Dec said: “Whilst I never thought I’d be in this position, after much discussion and careful consideration we’ve decided that the remaining two shows of this series of Saturday Night Takeaway will go ahead.

“We made a promise to take hundreds of deserving winners to Florida to watch the series finale, and we will honour that.

“Everyone at ITV and the Takeaway team feels we owe it to the audience to complete the series.”

Dec issued a statement on Wednesday (Credit: Twitter)

ITV confirmed in its own statement: “ITV can confirm that Saturday Night Takeaway, presented by Declan Donnelly, will return on March 31, and the series finale will be taking place at Universal Orlando Resort in Florida a week later.”

Ant & Dec co-host three massive primetime shows for ITV: Saturday Night Takeaway, I’m A Celebrity and Britain’s Got Talent.

ITV
Dec will host the last two Saturday Night Takeaway shows by himself (Credit: ITV)

The auditions episodes of BGT were pre-recorded earlier this year, featuring both Ant & Dec, and the show usually starts to air around April.

ITV have yet to confirm whether Dec will also host the BGT live shows solo.

Don’t miss out: Three steps to ensure you see all ED!’s latest news on Facebook