George Alagiah BBC News Credit: BBC/YouTube
TV

BBC Newsreader George Alagiah to return to work after cancer battle

The disease is in a holding pattern

BBC News at 6 presenter George Alagiah is to return tonight (Wednesday January 23) after a year off to battle cancer.

Fellow newsreader Sophie Raworth announced the news on Tuesday’s show saying:

“Tomorrow, George Alagiah will be here, so do join him at 6.”

George Alagiah BBC News Credit: BBC/YouTube
George will be back on Wednesday (Credit: BBC/YouTube)

She then tweeted on Wednesday morning to tease him about trying to slip back into work without a fanfare!

George wrote to her: “There goes my hopes of slipping back into the studio unnoticed! Thanks to all for good wishes. We’ve got the cancer in a holding pattern so it’s back to work with colleagues I respect and the viewers who make it worthwhile.”

Sophie tweeted him back: “Slipping back unnoticed after a year?! Unlikely @BBCAlagiah. We are delighted to have you back tonight.”

She went on to share a picture of him back in the newsroom on Wednesday – complete with a new beard.

Read more: Love Island’s Chris Hughes gives update on brother’s cancer

George was first diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014, which he discovered had spread to his lymph nodes and liver. He had extensive chemotherapy before being given the all clear in 2015.

But the disease returned and he began further treatment in January 2018. In a statement from his agent, he said:

“My brilliant doctors are determined to get me back to a disease-free state and I know they have the skill to do just that,” he said.

“I learned last time around how important the support of family and friends is and I am blessed in that department. I genuinely feel positive as I prepare for this new challenge.”

At the time he tweeted his 38k followers and said: “Always knew cancer could come back but still tough dealing with disappointment. Harder for my family. I know what I have to do: stay calm, stay content, stay fit and let doctors do their best.”

He has been vocal about the need to screen early for bowel cancer, tweeting in March last year that his own cancer was caught very late.

In an interview with The Sunday Times he revealed if he had been screened like they do in Scotland, his cancer would have been caught much earlier.

Fans are thrilled to have George back on their screens.

They responded to Sophie’s tweets with joy.

Read more: Chris Hughes reveals his brother has testicular Cancer

Are you looking forward to seeing George on the news again? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think.