Coronation Street star Simon Gregson has revealed he was caught up in a terrifying restaurant fire.
The Steve McDonald actor was dining at The Ivy in Manchester with his wife Emma when a fire broke out on one of the roof terraces.
— simon gregson (@simongregson123) March 25, 2018
He took to Twitter to praise staff at the glitzy eatery for getting everyone out safely.
Simon tweeted: “Hats off to the staff at the ivy yesterday for getting everyone out safe.”
When fans asked jokingly if he had lit the patio heater, Simon revealed he was closer than anyone feared to the flames.
He answered: “I was just down the corridor. Crazy man.”
Simon’s wife Emma posted a video of the dramatic scenes as flames engulfed the top of the building.
She wrote on Twitter alongside the video: “The ivy Manchester is now on fire! What a lucky escape @simongregson123.”
— Emma Gregory(Gleave) (@emmagleave) January 4, 2019
Fire fighters managed to bring the blaze under control quickly and managed to save the majority of the restaurant that only opened in November.
The restaurant re-opened within hours of the fire with a spokesman thanking the Greater Manchester Fire Service for their work.
The statement read: “Thank you for all your kind messages of support regarding yesterday’s unfortunate fire at The Ivy Spinningfields.
“The fire was contained in one section of The Roof Garden thanks to the excellent work of the Greater Manchester Fire Services who have informed us that the building is now totally safe to occupy.
“Whilst work starts to refurb and repair any damage done to The Roof Garden, the ground floor Ivy Brasserie and Ivy Asia on the second floor are completely unaffected by the fire and will continue to operate as usual.”
What a lucky escape!
Did you see Simon’s post? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think!