In latest Meghan Markle news, the Duchess of Sussex has won her privacy battle against The Mail On Sunday.
Meghan previously sued the Mail On Sunday’s publisher, Associated Newspapers Limited, for reproducing parts of a “private letter” she sent her father in 2018.
But ANL attempted to overturn the decision during a three-day appeal hearing last month.
Meghan Markle news: Duchess of Sussex’s full statement
However, the appeal was dismissed earlier today (December 2).
After the ruling, judge Sir Geoffrey Vos said: “It is hard to see what evidence could have been adduced at trial that would have altered the situation.”
Meanwhile, Meghan also responded to the verdict in a statement of her own.
The Duchess said: “This is a victory not just for me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right.
“While this win is precedent setting, what matters most is that we are now collectively brave enough to reshape a tabloid industry that conditions people to be cruel and profits from the lies and pain that they create.
“From day one, I have treated this lawsuit as an important measure of right versus wrong. The defendant has treated it as a game with no rules.”
Meghan says “I have been patient in the face of deception, intimidation, and calculated attacks”.
She says Mail on Sunday made “a straightforward case extraordinarily convoluted in order to generate more headlines and sell more newspapers—a model that rewards chaos above truth”. pic.twitter.com/FfgdzmppF6
— Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) December 2, 2021
She continued: “The longer they dragged it out, the more they could twist facts and manipulate the public (even during the appeal itself)…
“…making a straightforward case extraordinarily convoluted in order to generate more headlines and sell more newspapers. A model that rewards chaos above truth.
“In the nearly three years since this began, I have been patient in the face of deception, intimidation, and calculated attacks.”
We all deserve better
Meghan concluded: “As far removed as it may seem from your personal life, it’s not. Tomorrow it could be you. These harmful practices don’t happen once in a blue moon.
“They are a daily fail that divide us, and we all deserve better.”
In November, the ANL appealed and argued during a three-day hearing.
Meghan’s legal battle
During the hearing, they argued that Meghan’s letter was crafted with “the possibility of public consumption”.
However, the Duchess’ barristers insisted that the letter was “deeply personal” and “self-evidently was intended to be kept private”.
Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think of this story.