The Latest Celebrity News & Showbiz Gossip
Thursday 22nd August 2019

Kensington Palace to review security after convicted criminal 'gets within feet of Prince George'

William and Kate are said to be "concerned"

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have reportedly launched a security review after a convicted criminal was allegedly allowed to drive into Kensington Palace and "come within feet" of Prince George.

Driver Darren Benjamin, 40, is said to have entered the palace to deliver furniture. He works as a delivery driver for an independent company.

He later boasted to pals that he had seen William and Kate's eldest son playing with siblings Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis in the courtyard.

Kate's three young children – Louis, George and Charlotte – came "within feet" of the convicted criminal (Credit: Splash News)

He also said that he had been greeted by the children and their nanny Maria Teresa Borrallo.

Benjamin was jailed for seven years in 2008 for his part in a torture plot, where an innocent man had boiling water poured down his back.

Read more: Princess Diana's old boss thought Charles would 'learn to love her'

According to The Sun, Benjamin said the future king was "pleasant".

Now William and Kate are "concerned" about how close to potential danger their children actually were.

Security around the royal youngsters is now being reviewed (Credit: Splash News)

The source said: "This is the type of potentially deadly security oversight that cannot be allowed to happen. His friends were shocked he was able to get into the palace and within touching distance of royalty given his past."

Read more: Barbara Windsor celebrates her birthday with David Walliams

A royal insider also revealed that William is taking a "close interest" in the security breach.

His friends were shocked that he was able to get into the palace and within touching distance of royalty given his past.

They added: "He strongly believes criminals deserve a second chance once they have served their time, but is concerned current security policies might not be strong enough."

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are said to be "concerned" (Credit: Splash News)

Buckingham Palace responded to the story, saying an "urgent security review" is now underway.

A statement said: "As soon as it was brought to our attention an urgent security review was launched to check the current systems and procedures are appropriate. Pending the outcome, there will be a refined level of risk assessment for those entering."

Head to our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think of our story.