News

US dating show suspended as contestant claims she was unconscious during sexual encounter

Show makers ABC are investigating accusations of misconduct

Popular US dating show Bachelor in Paradise has been suspended after being caught up in a shocking sex scandal.

Female contestant Corinne Olympios claims she was unconscious while the show filmed her in a sexual scenario with male contestant DeMario Jackson.

The controversial footage featured the pair – both of whom had been drinking – getting up close and personal in a swimming pool at a resort in Mexico where the show is filmed.

A producer on the reality series allegedly filed a complaint that the pair had been engaged in sexual activity she was not able to give consent for.

US gossip site TMZ is claiming the show field producer heard from onlookers that Corinne – a controversial contestant on The Bachelor earlier this year – was so drunk she could not have given consent.

The show – which was in its first week of airing – was suspended on Sunday while an investigation into a complaint of misconduct is carried out.

A statement released at the weekend read: “We have become aware of allegations of misconduct on the set of Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico.

“We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations.

“Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action.”

In a statement yesterday, Corinne described herself as a victim and said she has hired a legal team to investigate the incident.

It read: “I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened on June 4.

“Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production.

“As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality.

“As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening.”

When approached for his version of events by DailyMail.com, DeMario, who has claimed the sexual activity was consensual, said: “My side will be coming. Soon, soon I promise. I’m great. Family, friends and Kanye West… his music.

DeMario will be giving his version of events in due time (Credit: Warner Bros)

“Thanks for all the love.”

US site TMZ is reporting that he has asked for footage of the incident to be released because he believes it will exonerate him.

Related Topics