News

Richard Bacon welcomed back to Blue Peter 20 years after drug sacking

He revealed the news on Twitter

Richard Bacon has revealed he will be back on Blue Peter this week after 20 years away.

The presenter, 42, was sacked from the children’s show in 1998 after admitting to taking cocaine.

To mark the programme’s 60th anniversary, Richard has announced he’s returning to Blue Peter to celebrate the milestone.

Richard Bacon attends the British Airways Silent Picturehouse launch at Vinopolis
Richard revealed he’s returning to Blue Peter this week to celebrate the show’s 60th anniversary (Photo by Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for British Airways)

Read more: Richard Bacon shares touching photo with wife after ‘nearly dying’

CBBC, the channel which broadcasts Blue Peter, tweeted a tribute message by poet Tony Walsh about the show.

The official Twitter account captioned the post: “‘Do you remember who you were back then? Your plans, your hopes, your dreams.’

“Tony Walsh’s beautiful tribute to Blue Peter will give you goosebumps.”

One person replied to the tweet, writing: “TUESDAY, CBBC, 5pm: this glorious show/institution/friend celebrates 60 amazing years. What a brilliant tribute.”

Richard replied: “And on Tuesday, in a day they (and I) said would never come, I’ll be back on Blue Peter.”

Fans, of course, were thrilled for Richard.

One person said: “OK I need to buy a TV license… this is a must see,” while another wrote: “That’s great, brilliant in fact!”

A third tweeted: “This is brilliant news. Glad you are back.”

Back in 1998, when he was 22, Richard was only 18 months into his role on the show when he was forced to publicly apologise for taking cocaine.

Richard later said that “positive things came out of” being fired from Blue Peter, as he has since had a successful broadcasting career, including hosting shows like Top of the Pops, The Big Breakfast and The Big Painting Challenge.

Richard was sacked from Blue Peter just 18 months into his role (Credit: BBC)

He has two children with wife Rebecca, and moved to the US to build a TV career. Richard has been hosting a daily news show in the States called The 30.

Earlier this year, Richard was put in a medically induced coma after falling ill while flying to Britain from the US.

He was taken off the plane in a wheelchair before being admitted to a London hospital in July.

After a couple of weeks in hospital, Richard was discharged, walking with the aid of a frame.

Before leaving the ward, Richard tweeted that he was “cleared for take off”, along with a picture of his hospital bed.

Read more: Richard Bacon’s mum gives an update on his health

He added: “Gone within the hour. I don’t know whether I see this as the bed I nearly died in or the bed that saved my life.

“Either way. I won’t miss it. But I will miss the 50 staff of Lewisham Hospital who definitely saved my life. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.”

Last week, Richard appeared in high spirits as he attended Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank’s wedding at St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Are you looking forward to seeing Richard back in Blue Peter? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think.