Michael Schumacher shows “encouraging signs” after skiing accident

It's been three years since the seven-time Formula One World Champion was injured

Michael Schumacher is making “encouraging signs” in his recovery after his horrible skiing accident, his former Ferrari technical head has said.

Ross Brawn has come out and said that there has been a lot of false speculation about the condition of the F1 seven-time world champion and added that the Schumacher family made the best decision to keep details about his condition private.

The 47-year-old racing driver sustained severe head injuries in a skiing accident in December 2013 in the ski resort of Meribel and various stories have been churned out about his condition ever since.

“The family have chosen to conduct Michael’s convalescence in private and I must respect that,” Brawn told the BBC.

“There are encouraging signs and we are all praying every day that we see more of them. So it is difficult for me to say very much and respect the family’s privacy.

“All I would say is there is a lot of speculation about Michael’s condition.

“Most of it’s wrong and we just pray and hope every day that we continue to see some progress and that one day we can see Michael out and about and recovered from his terrible injuries.”

In September a story emerged that Schumacher still cannot walk or stand without help. The information was disclosed as there were court proceedings in Germany.

The Schumacher family are suing a German magazine over a report last year which claimed he could walk again.

“He cannot walk,” said Felix Damm, a lawyer representing Michael, told a court hearing in Hamburg.

“He cannot stand without the help of therapists,” Mr Damm added.

In August the former Ferrari chairman, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, said Schumacher was responding to treatment and will eventually recover from his brain injuries.

Mr di Montezemolo, who was Ferrari chairman when Schumacher won five consecutive world titles between 2000 and 2004, said: “I’m very pleased to know that he is reacting.

“I know how strong he is. I’m sure that thanks to his determination, which will be crucial, he will come out from this very, very difficult situation.”

Michael spent six months in an induced coma and fought hard, and has since been receiving specialist care at home in Lake Geneva since September 2014.