The Latest Celebrity News & Showbiz Gossip
Monday 23rd September 2019

Martin Roberts taken to A&E after rubbing poisonous plant in his eye

His eyes were swollen and irritated

Former I'm A Celebrity star Martin Roberts has revealed he went to hospital after accidentally rubbing a poisonous plant in his eye.

The Homes Under the Hammer star took to Instagram on Wednesday to share a video of himself at hospital at 3:30am showing his swollen and streaming eyes.

Martin gave his fans a "really important warning" as he told them to look out for the poisonous plant Euphorbia.

It started stinging and it's got worse and worse as the evening's gone on, so I couldn't sleep.
View this post on Instagram

Not been a good week, all in all 😐

A post shared by Martin Roberts (@martinrobertstv) on

Read more: Simon Cowell shows off weight loss as Susan Boyle reveals glam new look on red carpet

In the clip, he said: "This is a really important warning. It's 3:30 in the morning, I'm in A&E.

"I was doing some gardening earlier on and there is a plant called Euphorbia - please look it up on the internet.

"It's in lots of people's gardens and when you cut it, like I did, it produces a white sap and if you get that on your hands and worse on your eyes then it causes some serious issues."

He added: "That's exactly where I am right now. It started stinging and it's got worse and worse as the evening's gone on, so I couldn't sleep.

"I'm now just waiting to see a doctor. Listen, look out for this plant."

Martin warned fans to wear protection around the plant (Credit: Andy Barnes / Flynet - SplashNews / SplashNews.com)

A few hours later, Martin shared another video of himself back at home.

His eyes still looked slightly swollen and sore but he said: "Hey, I thought I would give you a quick update.

"I'm back from the hospital and I'm on lots of drugs and eye drops. But as you can see, my eyes are still in a right old state and I feel pretty lousy.

"But thank you so much for all your kind words and get well soon wishes. I want to make sure you don't fall into this experience that I have."

Martin then showed his fans the exact plant that caused his eyes to become swollen and irritated.

View this post on Instagram

Under the Weather 😂

A post shared by Martin Roberts (@martinrobertstv) on

Read more: Jameela Jamil accuses England of being racist to Meghan

He added: "You might have it in your garden. When you're trying to weed it out, make sure you're wearing eye protection and gloves. I don't want anyone else to suffer from this."

Fans sent their well-wishes and support to Martin.

One person said: "Aww get well soon Martin," while another wrote: "Pleased you got sorted out and thanks for the warning!"

A third added: "Bless you Martin, and thanks for the info."

Have you had a similar experience to Martin? Let us know what you think on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix.