News

Jason Manford blasts news channels for showing video footage of London attack

His Twitter followers support the comedian's opinion

Jason Manford has aired his thoughts of how the news have handled the London Bridge and Borough Market attack.

The 36-year-old has said that he doesn’t think they should be showing video footage of people “running scared”.

Seven people lost their lives on Saturday night, and 48 were injured after a terrorist attack. Three men were in a van that drove into pedestrians on the bridge and they went on to stab people who were enjoying their evenings.

The father thinks that showing the footage would please the terrorists (Credit: FameFlynet)

Read more: Olivia Campbell’s mum thanks Ariana Grande for One Love Manchester concert

Videos of terrified people running away were being shown on news channels, but Jason didn’t think it was right and that it only made the terrorists feel as if they’d won.

Many of his fans agreed with everything he said.

Jason tweeted: “I do wonder what help replaying videos of terrified looking people running scared on the news channels over and over. Don’t let them see.

Many agreed, with one saying: “Agreed. Especially as the police are asking public not to share on soical media but normal media don’t seem to care about that”.

Another added: “Was just thinking this myself. The media make this worse”.

Somebody then disagreed and said: “People need to see! Why hide whats [sic] really going on?”

The comedian replied: “Why do we need to see? I just worry that’s the terror the terrorists are looking for, then it’s confirmed over and over and over again.”

Thousands agreed, with one saying: “I think the coverage plays to their egos”.

It’s been an emotional time for Jason of late as he lost family friend Martyn Hett, 29, during the Manchester attack in which 22 died.

Jason posted a Facebook Live video and cried after the Manchester Attack happened (Credit: Facebook/Jason Manford)

The father-of-five paid tribute to the victims by attending the One Love Manchester concert on Sunday night, organised by Ariana Grande.

Posting to Twitter, he said he was looking forward to a “brilliant night, tinged with sadness and respect”, alongside a photo of him in the crowd.

After the show, he wrote: “Respect to @ArianaGrande tonight at #OneLoveManchester. Me & my daughters danced, cried, sang, loved & left with out hearts full of joy.”

Read more: Katy Perry’s outfit for One Love Manchester had touching tribute

The benefit was watched by 14.5 million people as it drew to a close.

That made it the most watched TV show of the year so far.

An amazing £2m was raised during the three hours as 50,000 strong crowd cheered, laughed, cried and came together after a difficult time.