Gary Barlow has suggested everyone just wants the best for Ant McPartlin – much like they do for his former Take That bandmate Robbie Williams.
During a chat with The Dan Wooton Interview podcast, the Take That star was asked about Ant being charged with drink-driving following a three-car collision in London on Sunday.
Gary, who has known Ant for years, said: “I think, again, it’s the same as Rob, everyone just wants the best for him.”
Gary continued: “I think it could have been a lot worse than it was, thank God no one got really seriously hurt. I just want him to get better, because I think we’ve all grown up seeing those guys on TV.
Read more: Ant McPartlin charged with drink-driving
“They’re like a fixture and every few months I love to watch them, they’re incredibly funny.
“I send the best to him.”
Gary’s remarks about Ant came following a discussion on the podcast about his former Take That bandmate Robbie.
Robbie gave an interview to 60 Minutes Australia in February, in which he spoke about his mental health.
He candidly revealed: “Left to my own devices, I’m inclined to sabotage everything. I’ve got a disease that wants to kill me and it’s in my head, so I have to guard against that.
“Sometimes it overwhelms me and sometimes it’s a tool I need to get on stage and do the job I do. And sometimes I live in bliss and it’s wonderful.
“But most of the time I’m human – having a human experience – trying to deal with the trials and tribulations of what goes on between my ears.”
Reacting to those comments, Gary said: “It’s a bit of a thing with Rob that he’s just designed to now and again just lose it a bit. He just loses his way a bit and it really goes to show how haunted he is by that side of his life.
“We all worry about him constantly. He is still the baby of the band. He was 15 when he joined Take That. He wasn’t even 16, he was just about to turn 16.
“We do worry about him and talk about him and try to see him as often as we can.”
Ant was charged with drink-driving on Wednesday, four days after being arrested following a car collision in Richmond, London.
The star is due to appear at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on April 4.
His representative has announced Ant will return to treatment and step down from current TV commitments for the foreseeable future.
Ant checked himself into rehab last year after battling an addiction to prescription painkillers brought on by a painful knee operation.
This weekend’s Saturday Night Takeaway has been cancelled, while the final two episodes of the series will go ahead with just Declan Donnelly presenting.
Don’t miss out: Three steps to ensure you see all ED!’s latest news on Facebook