A man who was shown on TV at a window in Grenfell Tower waving for help as the building was ablaze has been rescued by firefighters.
The 70-year-old who is, according to his family, partially blind, was seen waving a white towel to try and get the attention of the emergency services on the 11th floor early this morning.
But there have now been images to show that he has been saved.
On GMB this morning, Susanna showed footage of him, and said: “He’s in his 70s, he’s partially blind. He has lived in the Grenfell Tower for 30 years.
“Now we have seen him over the course of the last hour or so in contact with fire fighters.”
Photos have this afternoon appeared on Twitter showing the man in the arms of firefighters.
Picture editor of The Sun, Ben Nicholls, tweeted an image of him being carried.
He said: “A man is rescued by fire fighters after a huge fire engulfed the 24 storey residential Grenfell Tower block…”
A man is rescued by fire fighters after a huge fire engulfed the 24 storey residential Grenfell Tower block. Leon Neal/Getty Images pic.twitter.com/LvC4J0vVet
— Ben Nicholls (@Benjaminicholls) June 14, 2017
Earlier on this morning, viewers were shocked with GMB for showing the footage of him trapped.
One viewer tweeted: “#GMB Need to stop parading this old man pleading for his life on the 11th floor like it’s some entertainment. #SMH #GrenfellTower.”
Another posted: “GMB how inconsiderate showing live pictures of residents at windows, show some compassion to their families who could be watching worrying (sic).”
Piers and Susanna admitted that they felt “helpless” as they watched him try and get help.
Piers took to social media to respond to his followers who were concerned about the elderly man’s well-being.
One said: “@piersmorgan please can you update us on the elderly man still trapped in the tower building”.
Piers responded: “I wish we could but we have no update.”
He has not yet commented on the man being rescued, but its a glimmer of hope among this devastating news.
Around 70 people have been taken into six hospitals in the surrounding area, with some fighting for their lives.
The death toll stands at 12 people.