Donald Trump has vowed to help terminally ill baby Charlie Gard.
The European Court of Humans Rights ruled last week that little Charlie, who suffers with mitochondrial depletion syndrome, should have his life support machine switched off.
Now Trump has offered his help to Charlie’s parents, who wanted their son to travel to America to undergo experimental, potentially life-saving, therapy treatment.
Charlie’s condition causes muscle weakness and brain damage.
The US President took to Twitter yesterday and wrote: “If we can help little #CharlieGard, as per our friends in the U.K. and the Pope, we would be delighted to do so.”
Trump’s lawyer, Jay Sekulow, also tweeted: “I have contacted my office in Strasbourg, France to intervene in support of baby #CharlieGard’s family. We must always fight for life.”
If we can help little #CharlieGard, as per our friends in the U.K. and the Pope, we would be delighted to do so.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 3, 2017
I have contacted my office in Strasbourg, France to intervene in support of baby #CharlieGard 's family. We must always fight for life.
— Jay Sekulow (@JaySekulow) July 3, 2017
Hours after Trump offered to help the tot it’s understood that an American hospital has offered to treat Charlie for free if he is allowed to travel to the States.
Charlie’s parents Chris and Connie managed to raise over £1.3 million to take him to America but were previously told the tot was too ill to travel the distance.
While medical experts said the treatment wouldn’t be able to save Charlie’s life.
A White House spokesperson has said: “Upon learning of baby Charlie Gard’s situation, President Trump has offered to help the family in this heartbreaking situation.
“Although the President himself has not spoken to the family, he does not want to pressure them in any way.
“Members of the administration have spoken to the family in calls facilitated by the British government.”
“The President is just trying to be helpful if at all possible.
“Due to legal issues, we cannot confirm the name of doctor or hospital where the baby could be treated in the United States,” they added.
The Pope has also offered his support through a statement released by The Vatican. It said the Pope is following the case with “affection and sadness”.
It also added: “For them he prays, hoping that their desire to accompany and care for their own child to the end is not ignored.”
Last week the devastated parents lost a legal battle which meant that Charlie’s life support would be switched off at Great Ormond Street hospital.
Chris and Connie broke the heartbreaking news to their supporters on Facebook as they spend their last few days with their son.
Speaking on June 29 the couple wrote: “We are utterly heartbroken 💔 spending our last precious hours with our baby boy 💙 we’re not allowed to choose if our son lives and we’re not allowed to choose when or where Charlie dies 😢.
“We and most importantly Charlie have been massively let down throughout this whole process
“Charlie will die tomorrow knowing that he was loved by thousands… thank you to everyone for all your support!”
Earlier this year, Connie and Chris left This Morning viewers in tears after explaining they had just one month to save their life of their baby boy.
Speaking on the ITV daytime show back in March, Connie made a desperate plea for people to help save her son.
She said: “We can’t just let our baby die when there is hope and treatment available that might help him.
“If Charlie receives this treatment and it does work it won’t just be his life that’s saved, it will be many more children in future who are born with this horrible disease.
“Like any loving parents, we will do whatever it takes to save our baby’s life.”