Today saw the start of another battle for the parents of Charlie Gard as they arrived at High Court.
At 2pm today the hearing started and the judge, Mr Justice Francis, is the same who ruled in the initial High Court case that Charlie’s life support should be switched off.
But today he gave a glimmer of hope to Charlie’s parents by offering to listen to any ‘new and powerful’ evidence.
He said: “There is not a person alive who would not want to save Charlie. If there is new evidence I will hear it.
“If you bring new evidence to me and I consider that evidence changes the situation… I will be the first to welcome that outcome.”
The evidence that the judge has received so far is that the structural brain damage that Charlie has cannot be reversed.
Although Charlie’s parents have claimed there is a 10% chance that treatment in the US could help Charlie, the judge believes the treatment won’t work for him.
In today’s hearing he said Charlie’s parents would have to provide new information which might justify him or any other judge changing their mind and letting them take Charlie overseas.
Today’s case is a preliminary hearing and the full details will reportedly be heard on Thursday, and we can expect a decision at some point later this week.
It was only three days ago that Great Ormond Street Hospital applied for a fresh court hearing, in order to consider “new evidence of possible treatment”.
A statement from Great Ormond Street Hospital reads: “Two international hospitals and their researchers have communicated to us as late as the last 24 hours that they have fresh evidence about their proposed experimental treatment.
“And we believe, in common with Charlie’s parents, it is right to explore this evidence.
“Great Ormond Street Hospital is therefore giving the High Court the opportunity to objectively assess the claims of fresh evidence.”
Charlie’s mother Connie Yates has told the media: “I absolutely believe this medication will work. I’m not a doctor but I feel like I am an expert in his condition now.”