News

Brendan Cole superfan Lucy Stewart, seven, starts petition to get his Strictly Come Dancing job back

This is making our hearts melt

Brendan Cole fans, rejoice – you have an adorable new advocate in your corner.

Following the shocking news that Strictly Come Dancing fave Brendan had been axed from the show, seven-year-old superfan, Lucy Stewart has started a campaign to bring him back.

Seven-year-old Lucy has been a Strictly fan since she was just three (Credit: Twitter @Claire21Stewart)

The dancing fan, from Elgin in Scotland, has created a petition to get the BBC to change their mind – and she’s already got more than 1,700 signatures.

Writing on the Change.org page, she explained: “My name is Lucy and I am 7 years old. I want to make this petition because I think Brendan should stay on Strictly Come Dancing.

The superfan is closing in on 2,000 signatures for her petition (Credit: Change.Org)

“He is an amazing dancer and is kind, caring, thoughtful and my friend. He is the best dancer on Strictly.

“He has been so good to me and even let me dance with him on stage. Please let him stay. He makes the show what it is. Thank you Lucy x”.

Speaking to Heart Online, Lucy’s mum, Claire Stewart explained that her daughter has been a fan of Strictly – and Brendan – since she was just three.

Lucy’s mum, Claire tweeted about her daughter’s plan (Credit: Twitter @Claire21Stewart)

Claire explained: “Lucy has a few health issues and her auntie had put out a tweet to see if anyone could help make it possible for her to meet the dancers at the show in Glasgow.

“Brendan got in touch with her and said he wasn’t part of the show but he would love to give Lucy tickets to see any of his own dance shows.”

Lucy’s mum, Claire, posted this cute montage of her daughter meeting Brendan (Credit: Twitter @Claire21Stewart)

Claire took Lucy to one of Brendan’s performances and she had such a good time, she asked Santa for more tickets to watch Brendan dancing.

When Lucy attended the second performance, it turned out Brendan remembered her, and invited the school girl on stage with him to dance.

How lovely is that?

Lucy’s petition comes after Tuesday’s shock announcement that  Strictly Come Dancing veteran Brendan has been axed from the show.

Read more: Is Stricty’s Brendan Cole going into the jungle?

Brendan, 41, made the emotional revelation on ITV’s Lorraine, telling the presenter: “This is quite hard to talk about. The BBC haven’t renewed my contract – we get renewed year on year – and they made an editorial decision not to have me back on the show.

“I’m a little bit in shock. I’m quite emotional, a bit raw about it.”

The professional dancer has taken part in every series since it began in 2004, dancing with Kelly Brook, Lisa Snowdon, Lulu, Kirsty Gallacher, and won the show with Natasha Kaplinsky in 2004.

Following Brendan’s revelation, the Strictly Twitter account issued a statement wishing the dancer well.

It read: “We’d like to thank Brendan Cole for being part of the show since the beginning – winner of the first series – and for the contribution he has made to its success.

“We wish him all the very best for the future.”

But if little Lucy can’t persuade bosses to bring the dancer back, she could console herself with the news that he may be back on TV screens very soon – as a contestant on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!

The dancer has reportedly been chased by the ITV show over the years, but the dancer has been unable to accept due to his contract with Strictly and the BBC.

Now he’s left Strictly, producers of I’m A Celebrity are reportedly hoping he will say yes, especially after former Strictly dancer Ola Jordan took part in 2016 after leaving the dance show.

Could Brendan be following in the jungle footsteps of Ola Jordan? (credit: ITV)

A source told The Sun: “Brendan is outspoken and ITV think he’d be gold.”

Read more: BGT steps up security amid fears over an ‘acid attack’

“It would be a good move for all, he’ll get a great payday, post-Strictly, and bosses will get him spilling the beans about the show to millions.”

A rep for ITV had no comment to make when approached by ED!