Former Strictly Come Dancing star Brendan Cole has responded to the criticism that he is bitter about Stacey Dooley winning the Glitterball trophy this year.
Some viewers weren’t happy when Brendan said the Strictly results made a “mockery” of the long-running dance show during an interview on Good Morning Britain this week.
The 42-year-old has now retaliated on social media to insist he meant nothing “against” journalist Stacey.
He tweeted to one critic: “Ummm? I haven’t said anything against @StaceyDooley! She did an incredible job on the show from start to finish! Kev played a blinder and I have congratulated them in my Hello! column! What’s wrong with you!”
Ummm? I haven’t said anything against @StaceyDooley! She did an incredible job on the show from start to finish! Kev played a blinder and I have congratulated them in my Hello! column! What’s wrong with you! https://t.co/DrvQcK1q34
— Brendan Cole (@BrendanCole) December 19, 2018
It comes after Brendan spoke about Stacey, 31, and her professional partner Kevin Clifton, 36, winning the show, despite them not receiving top marks from all of the judges in the final.
He said on GMB: “It’s a popularity contest and that’s how the show wants it.
“I think it makes a bit of a mockery of it. At the same time it’s an entertainment show.”
Brendan was a dancer on Strictly since it started in 2004, when he won with Natasha Kaplinsky, but he was let go earlier this year.
Earlier this year, Brendan spoke about not appearing on this year’s series during an appearance on Lorraine.
Revealing how it feels not being part of this year’s series, Brendan said: “It’s a bit odd not being there.
“Not so much now that it’s started. I’ve moved on, next chapter of your life, but when the pros all got together for the pro rehearsals in August I was a bit like, ‘Oh all my friends are there hanging out together and I’m not there’, but it’s alright.”
What do you think of this story? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think!