The Latest Celebrity News & Showbiz Gossip
Monday 18th November 2019

Strictly’s Katya Jones quits social media after Mike Bushell receives chilling death threats

She wants to avoid negativity

Katya Jones has revealed she's quit social media following the online abuse she and her Strictly Come Dancing partner Mike Bushell have received.

Last weekend, Mike and his wife hit back at trolls after he and Katya were saved by the judges after a dance-off against Catherine Tyldesley and Johannes Radebe.

The BBC Breakfast presenter then revealed that he had received death threats, with one person telling him to withdraw from the competition or he'll be a "dead man".

Katya has quit social media after criticism (Credit: BBC)

Read more: Strictly's Mike Bushell reveals he was sent chilling death threat after Catherine Tyldesley's exit

Now, Katya said she's taking a step back from social media and the negativity.

She told The Sun on Sunday: "I'm off social media; it's not real. For me, it's real what we're doing with our dancing and performance.

There’s no need for negatives. I just want to do my own thing.

"There's no need for negatives. I just want to do my own thing."

It comes after Mike discussed the online abuse he's been receiving after being saved on Strictly including the death threat from one troll.

Speaking to The Mirror at the Pride Of Britain Awards, Mike said: "It was personal and I thought WTF. There are bigger things in the world to worry about.

"I get that people have their own favourite dancers but it's an entertainment show at the end of the day and to get a death threat is ridiculous.

"My wife saw it first and when I went to see who had sent it, they had already removed the tweet. A death threat? What?! On Strictly?"

Last weekend, Mike defended himself against criticism after viewers were furious that he was saved over former Coronation Street star Catherine.

After one person told him to "retire" as he's making a "mockery" on Twitter, Mike hit back: "All I do is put in 12 hour days with the amazing @Mrs_katjones.

"I am a 53-year-old dad and husband and enjoy music and haven’t ever learned to dance. I don't pretend to be anything and am working my socks off to improve. I hate it when anyone goes and compete only vs myself."

Mike received a death threat after being saved from elimination (Credit: BBC)

Read more: Strictly's Shirley Ballas slammed for criticism of Emma Barton

His wife also tweeted in support of her husband, saying: "Wow the abuse! Painful. We're beyond gutted Catherine and Johannes have left but Mike danced well and deserves his spot.

"As a viewer since the start I get opinion but this level of abuse is shocking. He's just a contestant and giving his all!"

Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think of this story.