The Latest Celebrity News & Showbiz Gossip
Wednesday 23rd October 2019

Strictly Come Dancing 'beefs up security for Blackpool show'

"Everyone will be briefed on how to protect themselves," source claims

Producers of Strictly Come Dancing will 'take no risks' as plans to tighten security are drawn up for November’s broadcast from Blackpool, a tabloid has claimed.

According to The Sun, show bosses are concerned performers are "increasingly" becoming targets when out and about in public.

And apparently it is believed that the series’ famous faces are "more at risk" when filming outside of their usual London base.

The tabloid also claims some stars have received death threats in the wake of Strictly pro Giovanni Pernice’s terrifying attack by muggers who reportedly sprayed him in the eyes with a substance in Epping, Essex.

Read more: When are This Morning and Loose Women not on because of Rugby World Cup?

A source is reported to have said earlier this month: "His first thought was that it was an acid attack - because of the burning in his eyes.

Fellow pro Pasha Kovalev was also targeted by thugs on mopeds who stole his phone earlier this summer.

The dancers and celebs are more at risk away from the London studios which are protected by security.

It is believed he was not injured in the incident.

In an another shocking incident, AJ Pritchard was left with bruises on his face after eight men set upon him and his Love Island brother Curtis during a night out in Cheshire last Boxing Day.

Read more: Coronation Street actor Alan Halsall enjoys family day out

And in Blackpool - the location of the annual live show ballroom special - three years ago Gorka Marquez was violently assaulted.

He lost two teeth after being punched in the face by a gang of youths.

The Blackpool show was also marred in 2015 when the performers’ dressing rooms were robbed during filming, with stars losing jewellery and their phones.

The newspaper also claims Mikee Michele, the bodyguard boyfriend of dancer Nancy Xu, is involved in planning the new security measures.

An unnamed source is quoted as saying: "The dancers and celebs are more at risk away from the London studios which are protected by security.

"So, for this year’s Blackpool trip, the producers are taking no risks. Everyone will be briefed on how to protect themselves."

ED! has approached a representative for Strictly for comment.

A BBC spokeswoman said last November: "We take security and the safety of our cast and crew very seriously. All our security arrangements are reviewed and adjusted accordingly for every live show."

Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think of this story.