Len Goodman has said although he and his former Strictly Come Dancing co-star Brendan Cole had “a few fall outs” on the show, they were still “good chums”.
The former head judge appeared on Monday’s Lorraine to promote Remember A Charity, an annual awareness week which aims to encourage people to leave a gift to charity in their Will.
During his appearance, Len spoke about his time on Strictly Come Dancing and its latest series, which launched at the weekend.
Len, 74, admitted he believes Strictly would be “better” with Brendan, who was axed from the show earlier this year.
Talking about his clashes with dancer Brendan, Len explained: “I liked the fact that we clashed. If you’re not careful the judges come over like bullies picking on people that can’t defend themselves.
“The celebrities are a bit nervous. So, you need someone. It’s nice when the pro says, ‘Hold on, I don’t think that’s quite right.’ And gives you a bit back.”
He added: “It all adds to the banter of the thing. Me and Brendan had a few fall outs but we were still good chums.”
Talking about Brendan’s departure from the show, Len said: “I think Strictly would have been better with him than without him.”
Meanwhile, Len said he doesn’t regret leaving the show in 2016 after 12 years.
He said: “It’s a bit like having a girlfriend and you part. It’s quite amicable and everything, it’s fine.
“Then suddenly, you see the ex-girlfriend with another geezer and you think, ‘Oh no, that what was my girl.’
“But listen, whatever you do at the time is the right decision and I’m sure I made the right decision. I did twelve years of it, it was fantastic, thank you Strictly for everything.”
Speaking about Shirley Ballas taking over his spot has head judge on the show, Len said he thinks she’s done a “terrific job”.
Len said: “I must say I think Shirley has stepped in and done a terrific job. She’s stayed herself, her own person.
“My philosophy all the time I was on it – be yourself and be honest. And if you do that, that’s what you’ve got to do.
“She didn’t try to be me, or anything like that. It must have been tricky stepping in.”
It was announced in January that Brendan had been dropped from the show.
A week later, Len said he was “sad” about Brendan’s exit and said he hoped his own exit from the show didn’t influence the decision to axe Brendan.
In an interview with Daily Mail at the time, Len said he couldn’t understand why it had happened.
“You can’t say he didn’t do a great job,” said Len. “He did and there was always a bit of an edge with him: the bad boy of ballroom – he didn’t mind answering you back. I hope me leaving didn’t cause it.”
Speaking about his exit from the show, Brendan said on Lorraine in January: “This is quite hard to talk about. The BBC haven’t renewed my contract – we get renewed year on year – and they made an editorial decision not to have me back on the show.
“I’m a little bit in shock. I’m quite emotional, a bit raw about it.”
In response, Strictly issued a statement saying: “We’d like to thank Brendan Cole for being part of the show since the beginning – winner of the first series – and for the contribution he has made to its success.
“We wish him all the very best for the future.”
Do you miss Brendan and Len on the show? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think!