Chris Evans seen leaving BBC Radio 2 studios after he quit the BBC for Virgin Radio - London
TV

Chris Evans confirms he said ‘yes’ to Strictly appearance next year

He is preparing to launch his new breakfast show

| Updated:

Chris Evans has confirmed he said “yes” to appearing on Strictly Come Dancing next year.

The broadcaster – whose new breakfast show on Virgin Radio will launch in January 2019 – revealed he has spoken to show bosses, although he has not yet signed up officially.

During an appearance on The One Show on Wednesday, host Alex Jones said: “If rumours are to be believed, Chris Evans, you probably won’t have time to do panto next year.

Read more: Amazing names already ‘confirmed’ for Strictly 2019

“Can you deny or confirm that you will be on Strictly?”

Chris replied: “Well, I have said yes, I have said yes.” He then joked he only wants to take part in the show so his wife, Natasha Shishmanian, can get tickets.

“So you and my wife can go and have a great time and I will be terrified backstage.”

Chris, who will host his final show for Radio 2 on December 24, said he met the commissioning editor of Strictly for a cup of tea and was warned, “it’s not as easy as maybe you imagine it will be”.

He added: “I think what’s funny about it, everyone puts it off and tries and keep it a secret. No, announce now, we’re doing it now.”

Chris Evans pictured at the House of Sky Q launch event to celebrate the arrival of Netflix on Sky, held at the Vinyl Factory, Soho London.
Chris appeared to confirm he’s signed up to the show (Credit: Wenn)

Chris, 52, announced in September that he was quitting BBC Radio 2 and returning to Virgin, almost 20 years after he left.

During his One Show appearance, he revealed his new programme will start on January 21.

It has also been announced that the show will be completely free of ad breaks, in partnership with Sky.

Meanwhile, earlier this week, it was reported that Alan Carr had signed up to next year’s show.

According to sources, the Chatty Man host has already met with bosses, who think the 42-year-old would be the “perfect celebrity” for the show.

Alan Carr Chatty Man
Alan Carr is said to be the first celebrity signed up for Strictly next year (Credit: Channel 4)

A source told The Sun: “Alan has met with bosses and they all hit it off straight away.

“He’s the perfect celebrity for Strictly because he’s popular, funny and throws himself in to everything – but he’s never had a day’s dance training in his life. What’s certain is he won’t hold back.”

Louis Theroux also hinted he would be willing to waltz on to the dance floor next year.

Louis Theroux at the National Lottery Awards at BBC Studios
Louis hinted he would be willing to waltz on to the dance floor next year (Credit: Wenn)

Read more: Strictly winner Stacey Dooley admits she nearly quit in week two

Taking to Twitter to congratulate Stacey on her win, he wrote: “Congrats @staceydooley! Me next!”

Fellow documentary maker Stacey replied: “Louis. You waltzing in a sequin shirt would shut down the internet and sent the entire UK into complete euphoria. 2019 GIVE US WHAT WE ALL DESERVE.”

Who would you like to see do Strictly next year? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think!