The Latest Celebrity News & Showbiz Gossip
Sunday 21st July 2019

This Morning producer brain damaged by chicken meal finally returns home five years after tragedy

Amy May Shead suffered a severe allergic reaction

A woman who used to work as a producer on This Morning has finally returned home five years after she was left brain damaged following a severe allergic reaction to nuts.

Amy May Shead was confined to a wheelchair and left unable to speak after biting into chicken while on holiday in Hungary with friends.

The 31-year-old had only taken one bite of food when she went into anaphylactic shock and collapsed.

Amy May Shead was confined to a wheelchair and left unable to speak (Credit: ITV)

Since the April 2014 incident, Amy has been in hospitals and care homes.

However, this month she returned home to live with her family in Essex, where she will now receive around the clock care.

Her parents Sue and Roger had an annex specially built at the side of the house for Amy.

Read more: Viewers moved as Ruth Langsford comforts brain-injured ex-colleague

"They've longed for her to come home," Amy's Aunt Julie told The Sun.

They've wanted her to come home for a long time but it's challenging to get someone discharged with a care package.

"They've wanted her to come home for a long time but it's challenging to get someone discharged with a care package."

Amy had done all she could to stay safe at the restaurant before her severe reaction. She told them she was allergic and even showed waiters a card in Hungarian to warn them.

Read more: Rochelle Humes slammed over daughter's World Book day outfit

She was assured the dish made with chicken would be fine but as soon as she began eating, she suffered a reaction.

Friends tried to help her by using two epi-pens she carried at all times but she was still left in a coma and her brain was starved of oxygen for nearly six minutes.

Ruth was visibly moved when her former colleague returned to the show (Credit: ITV)

Amy's family has since set up the Amy May Trust to raise funds to support her rehabilitation and also help increase the public awareness on the seriousness of nut allergies.

Leave us a comment on this story on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix.