Brendan Cole on Lorraine
News

Brendan Cole addresses possible Strictly Come Dancing return

He said he would love another role on the show...

Former Strictly Come Dancing pro Brendan Cole has said he wouldn’t return to the show as a dancer, even if he was asked.

The star appeared on Monday’s Lorraine to discuss the new series of the show and his own time on the competition, as well as revealing which pairing he thinks will win this year.

Brendan, who left the show in January, admitted that although he wouldn’t return as a dancer, he would “love” to be a judge.

Brendan Cole on Lorraine
Brendan said he wouldn’t return to the show even if he was asked (Credit: ITV)

Read more: Brendan Cole criticises Strictly judge’s ‘irrelevant’ remark

When asked if he would get his dancing shoes on and go back to Strictly, Brendan said: “It’s definitely part of my past. I’ve had the most amazing year. It came at exactly the right time.

“I’d go back in a different role, I’d love that [to be a judge] as a role.”

He continued: “People have been saying quite a lot, ‘They need to have you back’. If they asked, I wouldn’t go back. I’ve had an incredible year.

“Strictly takes over your whole life, you have no time at all. The things I’ve been able to do. It’s been an incredible year.”

BBC
Brendan said since leaving the show, he’s been able to do so many other things (Credit: BBC)

Revealing how it feels not being part of this year’s series, Brendan –  who had appeared on every series of the BBC dancing show since it started in 2004 – said: “It’s a bit odd not being there.

“Not so much now that it’s started. I’ve moved on, next chapter of your life, but when the pros all got together for the pro rehearsals in August I was a bit like, ‘Oh all my friends are there hanging out together and I’m not there’, but it’s alright.”

Brendan went on to discuss Sunday night’s show which saw TV presenter Susannah Constantine and Anton Du Beke become the first pair to be booted off the dance floor.

Despite previously predicting an “early exit” for the pair, Brendan admitted he was surprised by the outcome.

Strictly Come Dancing 2018, Susannah and Anton
Brendan said he was surprised to see Susannah and Anton voted out this weekend (Credit: BBC/Guy Levy)

When asked about their exit, he said: “A little bit [surprised]. Normally the underdog, the one at the bottom of the table, gets a little bit of a boost from the audience and they get saved for a few weeks.

“I was a little bit surprised. Having said that, it wasn’t very good. I felt really sorry for her, it just felt like she didn’t really know what was going on.”

The dancer also spoke about judge Bruno Tonioli’s criticism towards Susannah and Anton, saying he was surprised that Anton “didn’t have a go” at Bruno for “laughing” at Susannah.

He said: “Even Saturday, I’m so surprised he didn’t have a go at Bruno for laughing at his partner. I would have been furious.”

Going on to discuss reports the professional dancers want higher wages, Brendan said: “That’s probably why I’m not there anymore, I was the one that said, this is what we want.

Brendan Cole on Lorraine
Brendan said he’s unsure who will win Strictly this year (Credit: ITV)

Read more: Brendan Cole predicts “early exit” for Strictly’s Susannah Constantine and Anton du Beke

“I’m not sure they do want that. They get a good wage, I can’t imagine them complaining.”

Of who he thinks will win this year’s series, Brendan revealed: “I messaged Pasha [Kovalev], he looks inspired. He’s got a very good girl [in Faye Tozer], she’s something. You can see he’s inspired.

“If you had a partner that danced like that in the final you’d be absolutely chuffed. She’s amazing. Where you start and where you finish is what it’s all about.

“It could be anybody at this stage. It’s too early to tell.”

Who do you think will win Strictly Come Dancing this year? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know what you think!

Related Topics